Sunday, November 21, 2010

Banana Bread

While I was growing up my mom would make this bread for me about every month because I loved it so much, and I plan to make it for my kids some day.  I made my a batch for a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and received many requests for the recipe.  So I'm posting here for all to enjoy!


Brian's Famous Banana Bread

3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1.5 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup bananas (about 2 or 3 overripe bananas)

3 cups flour

2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 box of Jello *instant* vanilla pudding


You'll also need Loaf pans (two 5x8 pans maybe?), and PAM (I like the Butter PAM).

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2.  Mix all wet ingredients in one very large bowl.
3.  Mix all dry (powdery) ingredients in another bowl (can be smaller).
4.  Then, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl a little at a time.  Don't go to fast and stir constantly.  I use an electric mixer (KitchenAid) for this part.
5.  When it's all mixed, you should get a thick banana bread soup that sticks to the beaters a little.  If you're not squimish about raw egg, this is a perfect time to taste test  ;)
6.  Completely spray the inside of the loaf pans with the PAM.  Then sprinkle some cinnamon on the loaf pans.  When baked, this will harden to make a flavorful crust.
7.  Now, pour your mixture into the loaf pans evenly.
8.  Put them in the oven and bake at 325 degrees for about 45 -75 minutes (depending on the oven).
9.  You can test to see if it's done using a toothpick or cake tester (nothing too thick or you'll let the air out of the loaf).  If the tester goes to the bottom and comes out fairly clean, it's done!  If it comes out really gooey, put it back in the oven.
10.  When it's done, remove from the oven and let cool for a while.  Once cool or cold, remove from the pans by flipping them upside down and gently rocking the bread out so it doesn't stick or tear.

You can eat them cold, but I like them warm with a little butter melted on top... mmm........

No comments: